2. What is the indicator diagram?
3. What are the purpose of taking indicator diagram?
4. What are the types of indicator diagram?
5. What is indicated power? How to calculate power?
6. Steps to take indicator diagram?
7. Purpose of Power diagram, Out-of-phase diagram, Compression diagram, Light spring diagram?
8. When indicator diagram is taken?
9. What are the necessary precaution to avoid indicator malfunction?
10. What are the steps to be taken when compression pressure is low?
Propeller, Shafting & Stern Tube Bearing (Set 5)
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the rotating shaft frequency and the natural vibrating frequency become synchronized at a particular speed, that speed is known as the ________________.
2. Which of the following statements describes the advantage of the mechanical shaft sealing system over the stuffing box and packing method of shaft sealing for propulsion shafting?
3. Stern tube and strut bearings lined with hardwood or rubber composition materials are lubricated with ________________.
4. The stern tube flushing connection can be used to ________________,
5. A vessel has been equipped with an oil lubricated stern bearing and is undergoing a routine drydocking. Which of the following inspections should be made when the tailshaft has been drawn?
6. One of the determining factors regulating the time interval for drawing a vessel's tailshaft depends upon the design to reduce stress concentrations. Which of the following factors, in part, would be considered to meet this design criteria?
7. The purpose of the propeller fairwater cone is to ________________.
8. The tailshaft is usually supported by the ________________.
9. Regulations require a single tailshaft with water lubricated tailshaft bearings, stress-relieved keyway, and fabricated from materials resistant to corrosion by sea water, to be drawn and examined once in every ________________.
10. On a vessel using a water lubricated tailshaft bearing, a single tailshaft without a special keyway, and not constructed of materials resistant to corrosion by seawater, the tailshaft must be drawn and examined twice within any ________________.