Power Transmission, Gears & Clutches (Set 1)
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where diesel engine speed and clutch controls are combined into one operation by a single control lever, movement of the lever from the "stop" position to the "ahead" position will first __________.
2. The control system for a controllable pitch propeller can be programmed ___________.
I. to produce a maximum combined propeller and engine efficiency between pitch and a given engine speed
II. for continuous operation of the engine at pre-setconditions
3. A diesel engine is operating at 1800 RPM and driving a propeller at 600 RPM. What is the speed reduction ratio?
4. The torque transmitted by an electromagnetic slip coupling is dependent upon excitation and the _______________.
5. Which of the couplings listed will prevent shock loads from being transmitted to an engine?
6. In most marine single reduction gear units, the spur gear is driven by the _____________.
7. Hydraulic couplings will transmit torque equal to the input torque by means of energy changes in a rotating vortex of liquid. For the vortices to form, there must be _____________.
8. Helical reduction gears, as used with main propulsion drive trains, are constructed so that several teeth are meshed at the same time to _____________.
9. Which of the following characteristics is true relative to meshing spur gears?
10. Gear-type flexible couplings are often used in diesel engine drive trains because they _____________.